Weekly Breath Circle
About the event
Our Breath Circle is an online gathering space for grounding. We hold this regular space for light stretching, breathing and meditative practice. It’s a space that scaffolds and staggers levels of participation, so that you can opt in to what supports you and your body to feel safer.
The last Breath Circle of each month will be dedicated to a space for grief and loss.
The zoom link and time will be the same, so please be mindful that if you are joining us on the last Wednesday of each month you should expect to be joining a Grief Circle session.
This will be a gentle online space using regulating and embodiment techniques and tools to support us. Acknowledging that the pandemic has created unprecedented loss and bereavement due to structural violence, we are invited to be in community and solidarity with one another and hold space together in our grief. You can find more information here.
Please message us in advance if there are any access needs and triggers which you would like us to consider in order to help support you in the space.
We start practice within 5mins past 9.30pm, please arrive before or prompt on time and read the below guidelines which can help you optimise practice and protect our space and community.
Essential guidelines and HJL community principles:
- Sit or lie down comfortable in clothing that is loose and warm, as body temp drops. If you are someone who practices Wadhu or spiritual cleansing, please do so before coming to practice.
- Have some warm water nearby and any objects that support you to feel grounded or safe.
- Everyone is on mute, you can darken your screen/turn away from the screen and follow the facilitator’s voice.
- Sessions are about 30-45min long.
- Zoom bombing – we will remove the person/content and close session, please wait for email or social media updates.
- Messages/ Feedback- on chat, please be mindful we will be running the session too and will look at chat intermittently.
- During the session participation support:
- Please message the facilitator (Farzana) privately if there’s anything you want to disclose re: access or support
- Physical: regarding your own mobility & physical limits, honour your range. Do what is available to you, go to your personal edge. All movements are gentle. You can use the intention of each practice to guide what feels right for you.
- Emotional: If you’re in a space of agitation, distressed, hypervigilance, this is completely legitimate and real. Please participate in the ways that help you feel safe which can include just listening, opting in or out for part or all of the session, pacing and slowing down to your capacity.
- Breathwork and Bodywork can sometimes surface feelings or make us more aware. You may decide this type of grounding today is not appropriate for your current state or your stress response, please listen to what you need and pay attention to what makes your body feel safe. We honour practice over perfection.
- Please eat about 1hr/1hr 30mins before practice.
- Hydrate afterwards, gently resume your evening.
- This space is a space that holds, sees and safeguards people of colour, working class people, QTIPOC, non-binary & two spirited people, people of many faiths. It is a priority space for those marginalised. If you are white or sit in a privileged identity/ties, please know that the healing work we do together will always work with how each one of us must unlearn oppression and work towards internalised liberation showing itself out. That we do the work of healing and justice together.
- We reserve the right to remove anyone from our space if they are causing harm in the space. This means we may take you out the space and then be in touch following the session to address this.
- We deepen practice, not seek perfection. Come as you are.
Next Steps: We have many offerings ongoing at HJL as continued support, email email@example.com for any questions, sign up to our newsletter, follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter to see information about all our sessions and programmes.
This is a free space and we would like it to be so, if you feel called to balance energies of giving and receiving you can donate to us here.
These sessions will be online with closed captioning available. If there are any access needs you’d like us to consider, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.